Is Alaska’s population declining?
Alaska’s population continues to decline, according to the state’s most recent estimate. The estimate says Anchorage lost about 3,000 residents from July 2019 to July 2020, while Fairbanks gained about a thousand people, associated with a buildup related to F-35 fighter jets stationed nearby.
Is the population of Alaska increasing or decreasing?
Alaska’s population grew by 3.3% over the past decade, according to numbers released Monday by the U.S. Census Bureau. Despite the increase in population, the state’s growth rate was less than half of the national rate of 7.4% since 2010. That moved Alaska down one place in the ranking of all 50 states by population.
What is bad about Alaska?
One of the worst things about living in Alaska is the lack of tasty, fresh fruit and vegetables, especially throughout the winter. 5. Sun guilt. Not soaking up every last second of that glorious midnight sun makes always reminds us that we will be kicking ourselves in the wintertime.
Does Alaska pay you to live there?
Look no further than the state of Alaska, which pays its residents over $1,000 every year just for living there. Permanent residents who opt into the state’s Permanent Fund Dividend Division can receive yearly checks of up to $1,100 a year, according to its website.
Is Alaska the biggest state?
3. While Alaska is the largest state by area, it’s among the smallest in population: Only about 740,000 people call the state home. … Anchorage is the state’s largest city with just less than 300,000 people. The capital city accounts for about 40 percent of the state’s population.
Is Alaska bigger than Texas?
One-fifth the size of the Lower 48, Alaska is bigger than Texas, California, and Montana combined! Alaska is also far-flung: 3.1 times wider (east to west) and 1.9 times taller (north to south) than Texas.
What should you avoid in Alaska?
20 Things Everyone In Alaska Should Avoid At All Costs
- Farmed seafood. Flickr – Judi Knight. …
- Or buying fish in general. …
- Even feeding your dogs farmed fish. …
- Eating hot dogs. …
- Camping without a view. …
- Snacking on chips from the lower 48. …
- Shopping at big corporate box stores. …
- Drinking wine that isn’t from Alaska.
Is land free in Alaska?
Is There Still Free Land in Alaska? No, Alaska is not giving away free land anymore. However, you can look to any of the above cities for free land.