What is better Anchorage or Juneau?
Because Juneau is smaller (just under 33,000 residents, compared to Anchorage’s 300,000), it’s pretty obvious when a cruise ship (or two or three) full of passengers gets to town. The number of visitors can be overwhelming. Anchorage, on the other hand, is bigger and can absorb visitors without oversaturating.
Is Juneau Alaska worth visiting?
Juneau is definitely worth a visit and if you are not planning on returning to Alaska, combining Juneau with Anchorage, Denali and Seward could be a good use of your time.
What should you avoid in Alaska?
20 Things Everyone In Alaska Should Avoid At All Costs
- Farmed seafood. Flickr – Judi Knight. …
- Or buying fish in general. …
- Even feeding your dogs farmed fish. …
- Eating hot dogs. …
- Camping without a view. …
- Snacking on chips from the lower 48. …
- Shopping at big corporate box stores. …
- Drinking wine that isn’t from Alaska.
How long is the ferry ride from Juneau to Anchorage?
The best way to get from Juneau to Anchorage without a car is to car ferry and train which takes 46h 43m and costs $210 – $1,100.
How many days do you need in Juneau?
1 day/2 nights, to hit the highlights of downtown Juneau and Mendenhall Glacier. Keep in mind that if you are traveling via cruise ship, many only allow a half-day to explore Juneau.
Is Anchorage worth visiting?
IMO Anchorage is well worth a day or two. There are a ton of really great activities: hiking, museums, fishing, dining, arts/crafts, scenery all within the city. AK is huge and if you’re here just for a little while, I wouldn’t suggest any where too far away (like Denali).
Why is Juneau so expensive?
Rural Alaskan communities have to import fuel by air, causing some cities to charge as much as $9 per gallon for gasoline. The average cost for a home in Juneau was $304,000 in 2009.
Can you see Northern Lights in Juneau?
Fairbanks is about 180 miles south of the Arctic Circle and enjoys sporadic northern lights, though it’s best to forget the more southerly destinations of Anchorage and Juneau, which see dramatically fewer displays. … The further north you travel in Alaska, the more likely you are to see the northern lights.
How do I spend a day in Juneau Alaska?
Fun Things to Do in Juneau on Your Own
- • Walk to the Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls.
- Ride the Tramway to the Top of Mount Roberts.
- Have Lunch at the Red Dog Saloon.
- Take a stroll through the historic town and do some shopping.
- Take Helicopter Flight with Glacier Landing.
- Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure.
What is illegal in Alaska?
It is illegal to whisper in someone’s ear while they are moose hunting. … It is considered an offense to feed alcoholic beverages to a moose. So just don’t do it! Definitely one of the crazy laws in Alaska.
How long does it stay dark in Alaska?
Even though it is the largest state in the US, Alaska’s population is sparse. With 24-hour daylight during the summer months and 24-hour darkness during the winter, many people find Alaska to be a strange and mysterious place.
What should I know before visiting Alaska?
33 Crucial Things to Know Before Visiting Alaska
- The northern lights are not visible year-round.
- Sometimes the northern lights show up only on camera.
- You can only drive up to a certain point into Denali.
- The largest national park in the United States is in Alaska.
- The rain is sporadic and unpredictable.
How long is ferry ride from Seattle to Alaska?
Barges travelling from Seattle to Anchorage take about 8-9 days, while barges from Seattle to Fairbanks taking 10-11 days. Barge service is also available from Seattle to Dutch Harbor; Seattle WA to Nome, Dillingham and Bethel.